In season two, episode seven of “On Target,” Pontz sits down with Dr. Alice Brawley Newlin, Assistant Professor of Management at Gettysburg College, to discuss her research on the gig economy. Pontz and Mangala also recap the news from the first two weeks in October including an investigative piece on facilities and maintenance at the college and The Gettysburgian‘s recent staff editorial suggesting the renaming of Plank Gym in honor of President Janet Morgan Riggs.
- Discussion of campus maintenance concerns and Mangala’s interview with Jim Biesecker (1:10)
- Editor’s Note: During the course of this conversation, the figure quoted regarding the cost to construct the Quarry apartments was incorrect and overstated the cost significantly. The figure quoted was the cost for a range of construction that occurred over a multi-year period at the college. Thanks to an astute listener for pointing out the error. (-B. Pontz)
- Recap of lectures on campus including the College Democrats’ panel on women’s rights, the Gondwe Lecture on racial bias in policing, and a Fielding Center panel on the midterm elections (9:15)
- Discussion of The Gettysburgian‘s editorial on renaming Plank Gym the Janet Morgan Riggs Center for Global Citizenship (13:00)
- Note: McKnight Hall is named after President Harvey McKnight, not Mike McKnight, who is a current student and captain of the football team
- Bullet Report: Update on Gettysburg College Athletics (see more in our sports section) (17:10)
- Interview with Dr. Alice Brawley Newlin, Assistant Professor of Management (18:20)