By Maura Breth, Staff Writer
Monday, Sept. 23:
- LACLS Lecture – La Noche Mexicana and the Staging of a Festive Mexico
- Monday, Sept. 23 at 6:30 p.m. in McCreary 115 (Bowen Auditorium)
- Featuring Dr. Manuel Cuellar Ph.D, Assistant Professor from the departments of Spanish and Latin American Literatures and Cultures at the George Washington University.
- He will speak on “La Noche Mexicana,” a large celebration during the centennial festivities of Mexican Independence, and discuss its important role in shaping Mexican culture and background.
- National Theatre Live: Small Island
- Monday Sept. 23 at 12 p.m. and 7 p.m. at the Majestic Theater located on 25 Carlisle St.
- Andrea Levy’s award winning novel, Small Island, is brought to life in this theatrical adaptation shown on film.
- The plot of the novel and play follow along three interconnected stories and a journey from Jamaica to England, throughout the entirety of World War II to the end of 1948.
- Tickets are $23 for adults, $21 for seniors, and $12 for students.
Tuesday, Sept. 24:
- Common Read Presentation for First-Year Students
- Tuesday, Sept. 24 from 7-9 p.m. in the CUB Ballroom
- Sponsored by the Office of the Provost and the Division of College Life
- Author Nafissa Thompson-Spires’s novel, Heads of the Colored People, examines what the concept of “black identity” may mean in contemporary society through fictional stories of everyday American men, women, and children in the United States.
- The common read presentation this year will include Thompson-Spires presenting insight into her novel and its connection to today’s world.
Wednesday, Sept. 25:
- World Café Intercultural Conversation
- Wednesday, Sept. 25 from 7-8:30 p.m. at 102 West Water St. 010 Mosaic House
- Join for a night of intercultural conversations and friendship sponsored by the global World Café movement.
Thursday, Sept. 26:
- The Bully’s Bully: A Personal Journey
- Thursday, Sept. 26 from 7-8 p.m. in Mara Auditorium
- Matt Baker uses his personal experience in relation to his push for society in order to change our language around what masculinity and power mean in our world.
- CYC credit available for first-years.
Friday, Sept. 27:
- Salsa on the Square
- Friday, Sept. 27 from 5:30 p.m.-10:30 p.m. at the Town Square on Carlisle Street
- Come join Project Gettysburg Leon and enjoy a fun night of live music and food celebrating the Latinx Community in Gettysburg!
- If you have any questions, email email@example.com.
- CYC credit for first-years.
Saturday, Sept. 28:
- Inauguration of President Bob Iuliano
- Come join in celebrating the inauguration of President Bob Iuliano next Saturday, Sept. 28!
- Events all day include:
- Cross Campus Interactive Panels and Open Houses from 9 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Installation Ceremony at 2 p.m. on the North Side of Penn Hall
- Campus Celebration from 6-8 p.m. in the CUB Ballroom and the Junction with student performers, great food, and refreshments.