By Shannon Zeltmann, Staff Writer
This week in 1939, four new professors were hired on for the new school year. Professors Earl Bowen, William Sundermeyer, Armstrong, and Arnold were to teach biology, German, economics, and military science and tactics respectively. Professor Bowen taught at Long Island University before coming to Gettysburg and was mainly interested in histology and embryology. Before coming to Gettysburg, Professor Sundermeyer worked at the German Institute of Foreigners and the University of Berlin. Armstrong worked at the University of Pennsylvania and was working on his doctorate, and Major Arnold would work with the Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) on campus.
This week in 1954, The Gettysburgian began a new iteration of the newspaper by introducing a new style. The new version in 1954 had one less column on each page, but it had two additional pages compared to years past. Previously, The Gettysburgian only had one sheet. The new 11.5 by 17-inch version had the capacity to hold more news students and staff wanted to hear about. The paper would be like other college newspapers to be of the highest honor the newspaper could be. Before, other colleges believed The Gettysburgian was an awkward size, but with the new change, the news staff hoped it would be better. The Gettysburgian has always changed over time to meet new demands of a college newspaper.