Centennial Conference Suspends All Spring Athletic Activity
By Gauri Mangala, Managing Editor
The Centennial Conference has suspended all spring athletics practices and competitions until further notice beginning Monday, Mar. 16, which puts a pause on all Gettysburg College athletic competition.
The announcement, which was tweeted on Thursday, Mar. 12, stated that “Conference leadership and the Presidents Council will continue to monitor the rapidly evolving situation and regularly assess the status of future spring athletics events.” This suspension does not affect teams competing during their spring break periods.
Members of various teams including track and field and men’s lacrosse received emails earlier today advising them that college athletic events would not resume until at least Monday, Apr. 6.
Athletic Director Mike Mattia called the circumstances at play due to the coronavirus “an unprecedented time in the history of the NCAA.”
“The hope is the situation improves dramatically and we will be able to resume play,” Mattia added. “We will continue to monitor the situation and follow all federal, state, and NCAA recommendations on how to proceed.”
The track and field team was told a training plan would be sent to them soon and that they should continue to prepare for competition later in the semester.
During spring break, several Gettysburg teams headed south and have been playing various non-conference opponents. Overall, the teams fared well. Full results from spring break action through March 12 here.
- Mar. 8 W 17-0 Delaware Valley
- Mar. 8 W 3-2 Delaware Valley
- Mar. 9 W 14-4 University of Northwestern
- Mar. 9 L 11-17 University of Northwestern
- Mar. 10 W 9-6 Dominican Univeristy
- Mar. 12 W 16-2 Marymount University
- Mar. 10 1st of 3 Myrtle Beach Shootout
- Mar. 7 W 12-10 Widener
- Mar. 11 W 12-11 Washington & Lee
- Mar. 8 L 12-9 Washington & Lee
- Mar. 11 W 12-11 (OT) Salisbury
- Mar. 8 W 2-1 Brevard
- Mar. 8 W 10-4 Iowa Wesleyan
- Mar. 9 W 9-0 Lancaster Bible
- Mar. 9 W 9-1 Cazenovia
- Mar. 10 W 6-0 Penn State Schuylkill
- Mar. 11 L 5-4 Greenville University
- Mar. 11 W 19-6 University of Saint Joseph
- Mar. 12 W 11-2 Rhode Island
- Mar. 8 L 2-7 Baldwin Wallace
- Mar. 11 L 1-8 Webster
- Mar. 10 L 9-0 Lynchburg
- Mar. 11 L 6-3 Webster
Editor-in-Chief Benjamin Pontz contributed to this report.
Hey Gettysburgians: Tell us how this news is affecting you and what questions you have for the college (anonymously if you’d like) in this web form.