Blasts from the Past: February 8, 2018
By Shannon Zeltmann, Staff Writer
This week in 1903, a writer for The Gettysburgian discussed concerns for the upcoming annual parade for Washington’s birthday. It appeared as though no one had started to make plans for the parade that year. The parade was only two weeks away and something had to be done quickly to put everything together. The reporter suggested having a “mass meeting shortly” to come up with plans for the traditional parade. However, it seems two weeks it not enough time to put together a parade because they did not write about the parade that year again!
This week in 1938, a sixty-year resident of Gettysburg was profiled. Henry Clay, who lived by nearby the gate on Washington and Stevens Street, moved to Gettysburg in 1877, working as a waiter until he began working for the military park. He loved living across from the college, even though he was only able to receive education up to first grade. Clay remembered when he first moved to Gettysburg, there were only four buildings on the campus. He also helped work as a carpenter on Glatfelter and for remodeling Penn Hall. The community around Gettysburg College has always been a supportive one!
This week in 1953, six students from Gettysburg participated in an exchange program with six West Point cadets. Each of them had a wonderful time learning about the differences in the two schools. The six West Point cadets were refreshed by the co-ed nature of Gettysburg and the freedom students had on campus. The ROTC Gettysburgians were surprised by the strictness of West Point, with the very rigid schedule there, but they were also impressed with the honor system at West Point. All wanted to visit the schools again after their three-day exchange was over.
This week in 1973, the Gettysburg College Board of Trustees approved a funding campaign to create a library learning center. The Gettysburgian reported that the project would cost an estimated $18.5 million and fundraising would be hard, but President Hanson believed this center was a essential physical need for the college. This project was a very important one to the entire campus community, for which they were willing to raise funds.