Blasts from the Past: August 24, 2017

Students and community members partner to work at the Painted Turtle Farm through the Center for Public Service, which sponsored the first annual GIV Day in 1992 Photo courtesy of Gettysburg College

Students and community members partner to work at the Painted Turtle Farm through the Center for Public Service, which sponsored the first annual GIV Day in 1992
Photo courtesy of Gettysburg College

By Benjamin Pontz, News Editor

This week in 1946, Gettysburg College announced that its enrollment had reached a record high of 1000 students including a freshman class of 300 students. Of those 300 students, 75% were military veterans, while the remaining 25% came directly from high school, a new ratio to ensure that some students would be admitted from high school. Many students were also resuming their studies after military service in World War II; in fact, the class size of 1000 students was more than double the enrollment of the previous fall. The Gettysburgian also noted, “… twelve girls will be in the freshman class next fall and these coeds will commute daily from their homes.”

During the first week of classes in 1985, The Gettysburgian reported that the freshman class size of 575 students created problems for the college that required the addition of four additional course sections. A greater issue, however, was housing: the college ultimately built eight-student suites in the basements of three freshman residence halls, placed students in the freshman hall study rooms, the Health Center, and Plank House, which formerly housed the Phi Sigma Kappa fraternity.

This week in 1992, the newly-established Center for Public Service introduced the first annual Gettysburg Is Volunteering — more commonly known as GIV — day as an effort to connect students to ongoing opportunities for community service. Activities included recording English language tapes to be used to teach migrant workers, participating in a square dance with nursing home residents, and creating a skit for school children on avoiding sexual overtures. The tradition continues to this day.

This week in 2007, the opening issue of The Gettysburgian published a special feature on “Eating Out in Gettysburg” that identified The Pub & Restaurant as the best restaurant when parents are paying (followed by the Dobbin House, a close second) and Ernie’s Texas Lunch as the overall best choice for college students. The feature also rated the best Mediterranean, Mexican, pizza, and diner named after the 16th President of the United States. It’s no surprise which establishment won the last one …

Print Friendly

Author: Benjamin Pontz

Benjamin Pontz '20 serves as managing news editor of The Gettysburgian, a position he has held since the middle of his first year, during which he wrote 50 articles on topics ranging from student activism on campus to sports. Ben also served as the event coverage and social media coordinator and led the paper's inaugural efforts using Facebook Live and live tweeting events on campus. He is a political science and public policy double major with a minor in music, and he reads up to seven newspapers daily. Follow him on Twitter @benpontz.

Share This Post On

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *